INSIDE ST. ANTON
Did you know, the first ever ski school was formed in 1921 by the Ski Club Arlberg which itself was founded in St. Anton in 1901? Fast forward to 2020 and we, the St. Anton Classic Ski School, are celebrating our 10-year anniversary and lots has happened to this small farming village between these historic dates.
The original Galzigbahn was built in 1937 followed by Gampen, St Christoph, Valluga and Kappal lifts. Winter sports enthusiasts from around the globe increased over the years as alpine skiing grew in popularity and in 1975 the resort expanded with the opening of lifts on the Rendl mountain.
St. Anton has an impressive heritage and is regarded as the Cradle of Alpine Skiing thanks to the ski pioneer Hannes Schneider, but it has also developed a legendary après scene thanks to the infamous Krazy Kanguruh and Mooserwirt bars which sprang up in the 70s and 80s.
SKI AREA FACTS
- 88 State of the art lifts including some with heated seats, perfect for those really cold days!
- 305km Marked ski runs – blues, reds & blacks – there is something for everyone.
- 200km Off-piste terrain making St. Anton a paradise for freeriders.
- 2,652m Mehlsack is a heliskiing peak above Zürs in the Arlberg, Austria’s only heliskiing location.
- 2,811m Valluga is the highest peak and the start of one of the world’s top off-piste routes.
- 1890: Hannes Schneider was born, the local man who revolutionised skiing here and worldwide.
- 2011: Chalet Girl was released, check it out – this movie was filmed in and around St. Anton.
- 2016: Ski Arlberg became the largest interconnected skiing area in Austria by joining 5 villages.
- 2019: The new Schindlergrat lift opened, bringing an end to freezing cold rides to the top!
- 04.12.2020: First day of the new ski season and the date we are all waiting for!
- 25.04.2021: Last day of the season but we’ll only have to wait 31 weeks until the start of the next one!
°C | °C
TUE 26°C | °CCloudiness%Humidity%
WED 27°C | °CCloudiness%Humidity%
THU 28°C | °CCloudiness%Humidity%
FRI 29°C | °CCloudiness%Humidity%
SAT 30°C | °CCloudiness%Humidity%
SUN 31°C | °CCloudiness%Humidity%
OUR TOP TIPS ON THE SKI MOUNTAIN
I WISH THAT ALL YOUR DREAMS COME TRUE, AS LONG AS THEY ARE ABOUT Skiing ME AND YOU